Science allows us to do many amazing things. It enables us to analyze the bones of the ancients in order to better understand where we came from; it allows us to glimpse the microscopic organisms that currently share our planet, and it even lets us peek into the future -- foreseeing events like the Sun’s expansion and the death of Earth. Of course, we can never say what will happen with 100% certainty, but we can use our data to make solid predictions about the future.
So join us on a journey to the furthest reaches of time, and see what the future has in store. Here is Part I of the Timeline of the Future.*
- 36,000 Years = The sun gets a new neighbor.
- 100,000 Years = Rest in Peace VY Canis Majoris.
- 1,000,000 Years = The sun gets a rival.
- 1,400,000 Years = A turbulent time in the solar system.
- 8,000,000 Years = So long, Phobos and Mars gets a ring!
- 100,000,000 Years = Chances of planet wide destruction = very good
Be sure to check back to see Part II and beyond.
*Editors note: All dates are approximations and may vary slightly depending on the source. Please do not use this to make travel plans.