Earth is the birthplace of the human race—the only planet in the cosmos known to harbor any form of life. It's hard to appreciate just how special that makes this particular planet, which is just one out of hundreds of billions in our galaxy alone. One day, in the far, far future (hopefully), Earth will cease to exist, but its demise won't happen all at once. In fact, it'll happen oppositely, slowly and dramatically over time.
In our infographic, we look at key points in our planet's future: from shifts in the dynamic between Earth and its moon, to life dying off, and ultimately to the death of our Sun (if you need a larger image, simply click on the infographic)
- The Birth of the Big Bang and the Timeline of Everything We Know
- New Horizons Wakes Up: The Mission to Pluto Timeline
- Death From the Skies: How Our Solar System Will Die
- Past & Future: A Timeline of the Universe
- Timeline of the Far Future