Tesla is Buying SolarCity, And It’s Costing Them $2.6 Billion

Elon Musk is trying to fix, what he calls, “an accident of history."

8. 1. 16 by June Javelosa
Getty
Image by Getty

Automaker Tesla has just announced that they have finalized their merger with rooftop solar installer SolarCity. The price tag? A hefty $2.6 billion.

The merger will ultimately create a company that offers renewable energy and battery storage options for home and electric vehicles under a single brand.

Tesla

CEO of Tesla Motors, Elon Musk, also serves as chairman of SolarCity; and Musk’s cousins, Lyndon Rive and Peter Rive, are the company’s co-founders. So this kind of takes the, “never do business with family” mantra and throws it to the wind.

News surrounding the merger of both companies first circulated back in June. And in their most recent statement, both companies said that “solar and storage are at their best when they are combined.”

Advertisement

“Now is the right time to bring our two companies together: Tesla is getting ready to scale our Powerwall and Powerpack stationary storage products and SolarCity is getting ready to offer next-generation differentiated solar solutions. By joining forces, we can operate more efficiently and fully integrate our products, while providing customers with an aesthetically beautiful and simple one-stop solar + storage experience: one installation, one service contract, one phone app.”

Currently, Tesla holds 93.5 percent of the merged companies, with SolarCity holding the remaining 6.5 percent.

The move to acquire SolarCity is part of Musk’s plan to “accelerate the possibility of a sustainable energy world,” which he considers an important step towards achieving this vision.


Care about supporting clean energy adoption? Find out how much money (and planet!) you could save by switching to solar power at UnderstandSolar.com. By signing up through this link, Futurism.com may receive a small commission.

Share This Article

Keep up.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter to keep in touch with the subjects shaping our future.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement and Privacy Policy

Advertisement

Copyright ©, Camden Media Inc All Rights Reserved. See our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Data Use Policy. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Futurism. Fonts by Typekit and Monotype.